The Government of Alberta announced that six proposals will begin exploring how to develop environmentally safe carbon storage hubs to reduce emissions from the Edmonton region.
The companies below are invited to work with government to evaluate the suitability of each location for safely storing carbon from industrial emissions. If the evaluation demonstrates that the proposed projects can provide permanent storage, companies can work with the government on an agreement that provides them with the right to inject captured carbon dioxide. This agreement will also ensure they will provide open access to all emitters and affordable use of the hub.
The list of proposals include several high profile companies operating in Alberta’s Industrial Heartland:
- Meadowbrook Hub Project, Bison Low Carbon Ventures Inc. for a potential sequestration hub north of Edmonton
- The Open Access Wabamun Carbon Hub, Enbridge Inc. for a potential sequestration hub west of Edmonton
- The Origins Project, Enhance Energy Inc. for a potential sequestration hub south of Edmonton
- Alberta Carbon Grid™, Pembina Pipeline Corporation and TC Energy for a potential sequestration hub north and northeast of Edmonton
- Atlas Carbon Sequestration Hub (Atlas Hub), Shell Canada Limited, ATCO Energy Solutions Ltd. Suncor Energy Inc., for a potential sequestration hub east of Edmonton
- Wolf Midstream and partners for a potential sequestration hub east of Edmonton.