A public Open House was held recently in Fort Saskatchewan to provide information to stakeholders, landowners and the general public on the options for the intersection improvements at the junctions of Highways 15, 37, and 825.
Access Alberta Transportation maps and further information – CLICK HERE – and follow these instructions:
- Select ‘Highway 37’ from Choose a Highway drop down menu
- Select Intersection Improvements
- Click ‘Full Detail’ button under project description
- Access documents under ‘Select a Resource Item’ tab
Public feedback has been collected in order to review and refine the design options. Once a final option is determined, a follow up public open house will be held, likely later this spring.
Additionally, here is Life in the Heartland’s (@LifeinHeartland) 10 Tweet Summary of details gathered at the Open House.
- Intersection 15/37/825 public open house held in #fortsask by @ABTransComm. Here is our 10 tweet summary. #ABHeartland
- Criteria for concepts: increased traffic volumes, configuration, intersection capacity, driver safety, & estimated costs
- Two preferred concepts were developed. Public requested to provide feedback.
- Concept 1: Roundabouts-each of the 2 existing intersections replaced with roundabout. (see photo below) (Note: Some further information on roundabouts from Alberta Transportation – click here)
- Concept 1 Pros: Can accommodate more vehicles; improved safety over signalized intersections
- Concept 2: Both intersections signalized & additional lanes added (see photo below)
- Concept 2 Pros: More intuitive and more compatible with future interchange
- Next Steps: Feedback will be incorporated into final design concept; follow up open house anticipated later this spring
- Note that this project is not currently scheduled for construction in @ABTransComm 3 year construction program
- More information: Doug Lunde with WSP Canada Inc, 780.452.5453 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Options #1 – Roundabouts
Options #2 – Signalized