Air_Products_Hydrogen_Pipeline_2Industries, companies, and residents intending to develop or expand in Alberta’s Industrial Heartland are subject to municipal, provincial, and federal policies and legislation. The legislation and application approvals that apply depend on the type of project as well as its specific requirements and location.


Municipal land use bylaws define how land can be used, as well as where and how buildings, structures, and signs can be developed in a specific municipality. Bylaws also regulate conservation and habitat. The result is a planned, efficient, economical, and beneficial development that provides a diversity of choice, lifestyle, and environment.

Alberta’s Industrial Heartland Association in conjuction with local economic development and planning officers in each municipality are available to assist with siting projects and working through the application guidelines. Contact us for more information.


Alberta Environment and Parks is the key provincial government department overseeing land development in industrial zones. This ministry can provide information on:

  • reclamation
  • land quality and use
  • upstream oil and gas reclamation programs
  • petroleum storage tank sites
  • integrated resource management
  • soil and groundwater assessment/management
  • protection and enforcement
  • waste management


The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is the primary federal legislative body that works with companies interested in development. This agency promotes environmental assessment as a planning tool to protect and sustain a healthy environment, as well as to meet the expectations of Canadians who want a growing economy in harmony with a healthy ecosystem.

The Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and its regulations ensures projects do not cause significant adverse environmental effects and guides opportunities for public participation in the environmental assessment process. It encourages federal authorities to promote sustainable development.

In addition to the above noted agencies, the Energy Resources Conservation Board and National Energy Board may also require information and/or assessments.